Sunday, August 26, 2007

To Zip, or Not To Zip?

I think I’m going to sell my car.

Hear me out, of course, before the screams of “that won’t get you very far!”

As a matter of fact, it very well might.

Coming from some part of me that both wants to save the environment single-handedly, while I realign my finances so I can buy things like a home and a wild, crazy tattoo, and an overall realization that I’m a lover of all sorts of projects – I’m thinking that next August when my car is paid off I’m going to go car-less for a year. Maybe more, but a year is an attainable goal. (And think of the book I’ll get to write as a result!)

But Cullers, how would you get around?!? How would you LIVE!??!

Nothing would change, really. I’d live and get around just fine!

Thanks to ZipCar.

ZipCar is a self-rental automobile organization that has cars placed throughout metropolitan areas for rent on an hourly or daily basis. Three of these vehicles are all within a two-minute walk from me. They’re ecologically positive, and the financial benefit is undeniable.

I did the math. Currently, I spend $3,881.00 per year to own my own automobile. I understand after talking with friends that this is not a lot, and that may well be true. But currently I spend approximately $323 a month for my car, which I rarely drive anymore since I can Metro to work. This includes car payment, insurance, gasoline budget (considerably lower when you take the train), personal property taxes, parking, tolls, and so on.

On the occasional weekend, I’ll break out the car to go to the dry cleaner and to the grocery store.

ZipCar costs a variety of figures depending on the package, of which I’d go for the “Occasional” selection. After a $25 activation fee and a $50 annual fee, I’d be able to rent a ZipCar for about $9 an hour. Let’s say I drive 8 hours a month – two every weekend, which would be the high-end estimate.

Oh, but wait… what about those trips to Ohio and Baltimore? Let’s say I continue to travel home 3 times per year. With proper planning, I could book three flights at $200 apiece. As for Baltimore, I could Amtrak or MARC train up for whatever reason, and my comic book store did once offer to ship me my books if I wanted. Plus, I know people with cars, should I truly end up stranded.

This option would cost me a high estimate total of $1,739.00 per year, or about $192.00 per month.

I’d save $2,142 that year.

Easy. So long as I live and work where I can walk to the train.

Plus, Blue Book currently has my car’s private party resale value estimated at over $4,000.

What the H?? Why is this such a crazy option? Six thousand dollars in my pocket and I’m no more put out than in any other scenario?

Officially, I don’t think it is. And while I haven’t pulled the trigger on this idea just yet, it’s certainly one I’m enjoying planning for and thinking about. After all, what better time to try new things than in the midst of this year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying reading this stuff. Keep it up!