Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Reaching 89 pages

I’m honestly not delinquent… just a little preoccupied.

I’ve finished the screenplay I attempted to, and mailed it off this week to the agent in L.A. for consideration – and I accomplished this task while fighting off some strange virus that has decided to invade my laptop. It might be SpyWare, it might be a Virus… it is DEFINITELY obnoxious.

There are a couple of scenarios that will play out with this screenplay, of course… I expect it to arrive TODAY, which puts it in just in time for the weekend read, if that pile isn’t too big already. This is a potentially commercial project – a path I haven’t normally taken, but one I wanted to give a pass at. Plus, it’s sufficiently sarcastic, so even if it sells and gets made (it’s a family movie, for god’s sake), it has my stamp of witty banter littered throughout.

I could get an email next week telling me that it needs further development and can’t be placed in the market at this time. This scenario is the MOST LIKELY scenario, but my bigger fear is that not only is it given a pass at this time, but this agent connection might not deem it acceptable enough to devote any time to future scripts, thereby rendering a strong connection into a strong former connection.

I could get an email expressing interest in seeing it further developed… with suggestions and edits.

I could get contacted about them loving this script, which makes me fly to L.A. to sign a contract with the agent and have them take it to the marketplace.

I could have that happen, and they could sell it, and I could be an actual screenwriter that makes 4 figures – or more – for a script, instead of the usual 3.

I could have any one of those things happen… but one thing I will have happen is me gaining the realization that I took another stab at it, I gave it another shot on the big stage. It wasn’t the first, and it won’t be the last.

There’s something really refreshing and inspiring about taking chances with a dream. It reminds us we’re alive, it reminds us that there are things we live for, and things we’d give anything to accomplish. And then it reminds us that we’re living life, because, in the end, life is what actually happens when we’ve dedicated ourselves to chasing that dream with every single ounce of our energy, every single day.

I could have also mailed it to the wrong address, but I sort of doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog is slow; write slow and die.