Thursday, August 23, 2007

Plots and Renovations

I’ve been trying of late to put together a natural progression of the next couple of years of my life – not in any set schedule or timeline, but more of a general idea of when I’d like to do certain things, and one of those things that needs to be considered is going to grad school.

Heading back to class(es) and obtaining a Master’s Degree has always been somewhere on the horizon for me, but I’ve managed to sneak up to 30 without having faithfully considered it. Certainly, I flirted briefly with the idea of getting an M.F.A. in Playwrighting at one point, going so far as to speak with the school about my candidacy, but never to the point where I’ve factored in application deadlines or GRE scores or anything of the sort.

And then two days ago I randomly saw an advertisement for an MBA Tour convention and decided it was worth checking out. At the very least, I might learn what programs are in the area (with me considering an MBA in a marketing concentration to be the most valuable to me and my career these days). Then I can dig in to see what my company has in the way of tuition reimbursement – with their once-mentioned career development budget. The convention isn’t until September 11th (NICE), so I might force myself to plan and prepare some information beforehand.

***

Not content with sitting in one chair every day of my life, I bought a couch the other day. I’d say that was in my Renaissance Year plan, but in reality it was about 8 or 9 months overdue since I moved into my current residence. Now I can actually have guests! Who are allowed to sit down! I don’t know what I’m going to do with all of this newly acquired butt space. (Other than think that that’s gross.)

What I’ve noticed more than anything, however, is that home retail shopping is an infectious, powerful disease. By simply buying a couch (and thereby pounding the ceiling of my home-spending budget for a short period), I now feel possessed to get that nightstand, and that end table, and that filing system, and all of these other items that I’ve subsisted on for a little while without but immediately consider the most important purchase I’ll ever make… next. Want a sandwich, Aaron? Tough – you need that coat rack for your living room. Curious.

No comments: