Monday, July 23, 2007

Baby Steps, Baby Steps

I reached up and felt the back of my neck for the twelve thousandth time around seven o'clock. It was instinctive. It was obsessive.

It was yielding results.

For years now, since I moved to the East Coast, I've watched the back of my neck undergo an unfortunate transformation to something akin to psoriasis. Red, dry bumps dotted the landscape with no explanation, and the toll this newfound condition took on my self-esteem was apparent, if not overwhelming.

Instead of taking a simple step and visiting a dermatologist years ago, I did what any other non-commital individual would do, particularly in the early 70s -- I grew my hair longer.

Truth be told, the short length I'd preferred up to that point looked horrendous, but no one ever told me. And in fact, some length in back looked much better, not counting the fact that it served to conceal the back of my neck, except when a barber or stylist was going to work and made the expected yet depressing observation.

"You've got a large number of red bumps on the back of your neck."

Sigh. Yes. I know. Please, never ever mention it again.

A couple of weeks ago, I started a new full-time position in downtown Washington, D.C. A true respite from my last job, this new place of employment provided me with not only a strong argument for happiness, but also instant insurance.

I began calling dermatologists the very next day. And one week ago, with my Renaissance Year looming, I stopped into one at 7:45 in the morning and told them it was time to clear up the psoriasis after all.

Only it wasn't psoriasis, it was some other long and clinical condition that required 3 prescriptions and triple figures in co-pays.

But a week later... and it's working. I can't see if the back of my neck is red, but the bumps are subsiding rapidly. Between an anti-biotic and a solution and a cream, I'm waging all-out war against some tiny little piece of me I was never truly happy about, even if I did my best to just not acknowledge it at all.

Such is the next year, hopefully. Which begins in about 2 hours, but I'll hopefully be fast asleep and on my way.

No comments: